With five full-time music teachers, and 14 specialist itinerant tutors, Avondale College’s music department is one of the biggest and best in New Zealand. Not only do students have the opportunity to excel in classroom music with both Cambridge and NCEA pathways offered, but there are a wide range of co-curricular music groups as well.
Avondale is also unique in having a particular focus on jazz, with a full time Head of Jazz teacher and Big Band and Jazz Combo groups. The Avondale Jazz Combo and Big Band regularly compete in the Tauranga Jazz Festival at Easter, as well as in the KBB Auckland competitions and at other festivals and events throughout the year.
Music is an option subject at Years 9 and 10. From Year 10 all students taking music as an option must be learning an instrument either privately or through our itinerant system.
Avondale College offers multiple pathways at senior level. Students can choose to follow either Cambridge’s IGCSE programme, or the NCEA pathway. For those students who are interested in a more technology-based course, our PMU programme is an excellent option.
Fourteen itinerant teachers come into school each week to offer specialist instrumental tuition in many instruments including Electric Guitar, Bass, Drums, Percussion, Voice, Classical Guitar, Piano, Strings, Brass and Woodwind.
Co-curricular groups offered include: Big Band, Jazz Combos, Soul Band - 'dale Soul, Choir, Vocal Ensemble, Orchestra, String Ensemble, Premier Concert Band and various chamber groups including string quartet and piano trio. These are open to all students attending Avondale College. Also selected students play in the school show each year.
Co-curricular groups perform at assemblies, our Avondale College concert series and community concerts.
- Choir at Big Sing.
- Big Band and Jazz Combos at Tauranga Jazz Fest and national tour.
- Big Band, Concert Band, Orchestra, String Ensemble at KBB festival.
- 13PMU fundraising concert at Avondale College PAC and national tour
- Three purpose-built music classrooms, one with a Steinway grand piano.
- Six practice/rehearsal rooms
- A dedicated departmental computer suite with 30 computers equipped with Sibelius music notation software
- Adjacent to the Avondale College Performing Arts Centre. a 650 seat theatre used for all our concerts.
- One of the best technologically equipped music departments in New Zealand with an industry standard recording studio - offering students the chance to learn about recording systems and basic mixing and processing.