Dear Parents, Caregivers and Students,
Late this afternoon I was notified that a student has been confirmed as having COVID-19. The person was infectious at Avondale College from Tuesday 2 November – Wednesday 3 November 2021.
Over the past two weeks our students and staff have been very careful to adhere to the COVID regulations for schools, and compliance with mask wearing, regular sanitising and regular cleaning has been excellent. There has been considerably more than 72 hours since the confirmed case has been at school, therefore there is no requirement for school to close.
Through an abundance of caution, Senior Students are asked to study at home tomorrow, Monday 8 November, as far as possible. Teachers will provide teaching through Distance Learning for both Junior and Senior Students. This will give us an opportunity to confirm contact tracing lists, to thoroughly clean particular areas of the school, and allow time for some staff to get tested.
‘Close contacts’ and ‘Casual Plus’ contacts have already been contacted and provided with relevant advice from Auckland Regional Public Health Service. The remainder of the school are considered ‘Casual’ contacts. Please refer to the summary of Quarantine and Management Pathways below.
Senior students who need to attend school tomorrow should report to the library at 8.50am, where they will be provided with a space and support from a teacher for their Distance Learning.
The student concerned did not have any classes in the area of the Cambridge Examinations. Examinations scheduled for tomorrow will proceed as normal, and students should report to E block at 12.30pm ready for the 1pm examinations.
I realise that this news will be worrying. If you have any immediate health concerns please call Healthline on 0800 358 5453.
Stay safe, be kind
Quarantine and Management Pathways
Indoors with a case for more than 15 minutes. Partially or Not vaccinated.
· Isolate at home for 14 days post exposure, test immediately and on day 5 and day 12 post exposure
· If symptoms develop at any time during the 14 days, get an additional test immediately
Release by public health after 10 days provided previous 72 hours symptom free and negative day 9 test result received
Indoors with a case for more than 15 minutes. Fully vaccinated (2vaxx + 2 weeks).
· Stay at home, get a test around day 5 after last exposure (or as soon as possible if after day 5) and continue to stay at home until negative test result
· Self-release once negative day 5 test available AND symptom free
· Self-monitor for symptoms for 10 days
· If symptoms develop at any time during the 10 days, test and stay at home until negative test result AND until 24 hours after symptoms resolve (if day 5 test was taken prior to symptom onset- repeat test required)
If symptoms develop at any time during the 10 days, test and stay at home until negative test result AND until 24 hours after symptoms resolve